Welcome to our little lunchtime getaway

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Christy's first post!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris and I are sticking to a tight budget, but we have been spending less money than expected everyday so far. I have been really impressed with Chris’ budgeting skills. Those of you that know me well, know that budgeting is not my strongest suit, but Chris is “skooling” me. We have been eating for fifteen Euro a day for both of us, including wine from the local market. Fortunately, we have a kitchen in our studio on the outskirts of Paris, close to Chateau De Vincennes pronounced “Vose-Ay”. Cooking in is key. So far we have cooked an egg scramble for breakfast and pasta for dinner. Due to our copious wine drinking we have been very careful not to exceed our budget of 40 Euro a day, about $50 US. We have had an extraordinary and super fun day as Chris mentioned earlier.
I have already lost about 5 pounds. I call it the Euro-Diet, consisting of wine and protein. I may have purple teeth but my bum is looking awesome! We were working out like crazy for weeks before our departure to Europe and Chris was looking like a Greek statue of Hercules and I was, well, just looking Greek. So I decided to cut my portions to 1/3 and let Chris’ Greek god body have 2/3rds and I have been dropping weight like crazy. So if you are exercising and not seeing results…trying cutting back on your portions. I know this is common knowledge, but sometimes it’s good to hearJ It’s really made a difference for me.
Today, we sat on the steps of the Basilique Du Sacre’-Ceur De Montmartre. There was a musician playing American music right there on the steps. Do you like American music? Well, many people do here. The lyrics may be met with a generous ear, but it was really fun. Not to be ethnocentric, but America really does lead in the area of entertainment. There were tourists and locals sitting on the steps over looking one of the highest points in Paris, enjoying the music and the incredible cityscape. Around the corner from the Basilique, or beautiful Catholic Church, was the rest of Montmartre, also known as Artists Alley. Artist like Picasso, Monet, and Dali have resided in the quaint and character-rich hilltop roads and steep staircases of Montmartre. Hip cafes, fabric stores, and art galleries fill the unique cobblestone streets. It’s a creative haven, a sanctuary, for those seeking creative stimulation. Even the metro station entrance is designed in a beautiful art Nouveau style which is my favorite because its era symbolizes independence and innovation.  
A magical evening to top off a magical day. My mind is rushing and my body vibrating with excitement about whats to come. Stay tuned in:)

1 comment: