Welcome to our little lunchtime getaway

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Right up your artist alley


Montmatre, Montmartre, Montmartre…. Today was possibly the best day of my life. I know I have many things in my life to be thankful for, and accomplishments to be proud of, but today had my breath by the throat.  I currently sit here in complete sensory overload.  We started today with a workout, because Christy and I will be dammed if we are going to let our vacation spoil our health, but the gym did bring some funny moments.  First off, I couldn’t find a 45 pound plate to save my life, they don’t work with weights that big around here, on top of the fact that everything was in kilos, so that took a bit for my brain to process, they don’t open till 9 which was another adjustment, and if everyone thought that ‘ In Motion’ was full of people just trying to meet people, go to a gym in Paris. I had to remind myself where I was several times because Frenchmen couldn’t stop making remarks about my girlfriend. Yeah I don’t know French, but ogling inappropriateness is universal. Plus they make you pay for water … I might as well wait for it to rain and stick my mouth towards the sky.
Since we left off half way through ‘Louve County’ yesterday, we decided to start back up there again. I will admit I am a statue whore, and the outside of this place is a personal heaven. Once again, your eyes cannot look anywhere without seeing immense detail everywhere, there has to be easily over a thousand statues on the building itself not to mention the hundreds surrounding it. You really can start to get a sense for the book, ‘The Da Vinci Code’, and the symbolism that places itself on basically every square inch of the museum.  Still after spending at least two full hours just walking the perimeter I have not truly looked at half of what I would like to. The park to the south of the museum has me spinning circles of elaborate statues of the most famous people to have made their stamps on culture throughout history.
We then made our way past the Egyptian Obelisk which is right behind the Ferris wheel, which when you ever visit makes for a good joke. I Saw some police whistle, yes I said whistle at a guy on a moped over to give him a ticket.. Once again I said whistle, when is the last time you seen an episode of ‘Cops’ when they got a criminal to come over from a whistle. I mean you can’t even get those guys to admit it’s their drugs when the cop pulls it out of their mouth. We then walked to like 5 different huge buildings, which I will tell you what they are once I look in my travel guide, or actually go in them when my Paris pass starts Monday. After a quick stretch from a walk that seemed like Red Bluff to Chico, we hopped over to the Eiffel Tower, it was actually more like a pilgrimage. You could tell by our pictures because we took a bunch of them from two miles away and then by the time we got there, we had to rest and only took two up close. Oh, sidebar; I am sick of all the pushy people trying to sell me foolish little mini statues of the tower, or any other trinket that no one wants.. However, I will give one guy credit for just coming up and saying, ‘ Hey, you want to give me some money?’ I almost did for his honestly but I have been taken too much already and didn’t.
Christy knowing me so well then took me to Montremar.. Yeah, so the artist there made me feel like a kindergartener who draws his skies with just a line of blue, and his trees with just one piece of wood going all the way up to the bubble of green leaves. It truly does remind me of Berkeley: laid back, young, character, and a lot of cool things going on. I could only imagine it being close to what I will see in Prague a few months from now. I truly hope to come back to this place someday and spend a few months there. It really is that amazing and I was only there for a few hours. We plan on taking one full day of our trip there to just hang out with the crowds and drink wine. God, I love Paris, God, I love Christy, and God Bless Montremar.

No comments:

Post a Comment